Hurricane Season 2018 — Travel Tip

Hurricane Season 2018 — Travel Tip

The season will run until November 30 but the public should note that storms, like last week's Subtropical Storm Alberto, can form outside the formal season.

An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which six become hurricanes, including three major hurricanes.

Sub-Tropical Storm Alberto hit the Gulf Coast over the Memorial Day weekend, which has some folks anxious that we could be in store for a busy year if its only May and we're already getting named storms.

Whether staying or going, carrying cash is a good idea as well. They credit a neutral state of the El Nino Southern Oscillation and a warmer than average western Atlantic Hurricane basin to their predictions.

Last season, for instance, four hurricanes underwent rapid intensification, including Hurricane Maria, which jumped from a Category 1 hurricane to a Category 5 as it approached Dominica and devastated Puerto Rico. Remember, it only takes ONE major hurricane to make for a memorable season.

Researchers are not forecasting as active a hurricane season as 2017.

According to NOAA, forecasters predict a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a fairly normal season and a 25 percent chance of a below-average season. There have been many seasons with above-average number storms, including 2004, when hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne slammed Florida.

The 2018 hurricane season is shaping up to be "near- or above-normal" according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). There may be two major hurricanes, with winds of at least 111 miles (179 kilometers) per hour, in line with the average.

"As hard as it was previous year, people worked together well", Gov. Rick Scott said recently at the Governor's Hurricane Conference in West Palm Beach.

Most officials say hurricane forecasts are similar to a sports writer predicting which Major League Baseball teams will win their divisions.

"The cone doesn't provide any information about impacts from storm surge, wind, rain or other hazards, which often occur well outside the area included in the cone", Brennan said. High pressure churns up the ocean, boosting evaporation and cooling the water.

One predictable thing about hurricanes is. they're unpredictable.

Bobby Futch, the vice president of insurance claims for AAA and the Auto Club Group, said that Florida residents are better prepared this year for hurricanes after the events of the past two years. "I say to them, 'would you mind looking at the housing market before making a decision to come?' I never get a call back", she added.

Cash, cellphones and ID are the three most important items to take, said participants in the survey.

"If you set aside that plan ahead of time", Cangialosi said, "it would make your job so much easier when and if your area's threatened".

Related Articles