Saudi says no plans for embargo despite Khashoggi row

Saudi says no plans for embargo despite Khashoggi row

He adds Saudi officials do not know the whereabouts of Khashoggi's remains.

The death of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi must now galvanise greater scrutiny of Saudi Arabia's military intervention in Yemen, where a coalition led by the kingdom is fighting Shia rebels, said Yemeni Nobel laureate and human rights advocate Tawakkol Karman. It forms part of the wider investigation by Turkish officials into the events of that day and the continued interrogation and worldwide questioning of Saudi Arabia's version of how the journalist died.

On Sunday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said he will make a statement on Khashoggi's killing on Tuesday during his party's group meeting at the parliament.

In a series of clips from closed-circuit television cameras both outside the consulate, in Istanbul's Levent district, and in the tourist-heavy Sultan Ahmet area, one of the Saudi suspects is seen wearing the gray trousers and black jacket worn by Khashoggi when he entered the mission.

The video surfaced as Saudi officials offered yet another explanation for the death of the 59-year-old Saudi journalist who had been living in the U.S.in self-imposed exile while he wrote columns for The Washington Post that were critical of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Riyadh's involvement in the conflict in Yemen.

The broadcaster quoted an unnamed senior Turkish official as saying: "You don't need a body double for a rendition or an interrogation". Our assessment has not changed since October 6.

Meanwhile, another vehicle, carrying no license plate, was removed from the consulate on October 22 with a tow truck.

There will not be a repeat of the 1973 oil embargo despite the crisis over the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, the Saudi energy minister reportedly said on Monday.

On Monday, a spokesman for Turkey's ruling AK Party, Omer Celik, echoed the sentiment that the footage is evidence of Saudi efforts to hide the killing. "We are facing a situation that has been monstrously planned and later tried to be covered up. It is a complicated murder", he told reporters, according to Reuters.

The administration is approaching Saudi Arabia's explanation for Khashoggi's death with "our eyes wide open", Kushner said.

Saudi Arabia on Monday said King Salman and his son Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had called the son of slain Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi, to express condolences for his death at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul by officials that allegedly included a member of the royal's entourage.

Saudi Arabia's explanation that Khashoggi was killed in a "fistfight" and 18 Saudis have been detained has been met with worldwide scepticism and allegations of a cover-up created to absolve Prince Mohammed of direct responsibility. He said "it will have no positive consequences if we, as we are doing, now don't pursue our arms exports if at the same time other countries fill this gap".

In an interview with the Washington Post, Trump said that "obviously there's been deception, and there's been lies".

"Jared doesn't know him well or anything", he said.

The newspaper says the calls went to the head of the crown prince's office, as well as a number in the United States.

Related Articles